Hello!

This blog is dedicated to my sharings about general life and others, a bit of a personal memorial of my (now) youth and what I've done, seen, experienced, enjoyed. Life is finite, experiences are finite, but archival can make that experience last, just a little longer.

  • If you're looking for any specific content (i.e specific cars, etc), please use the search function and use your PC's Ctrl + F Search function. Unfortunately due to Blogger's shortcomings, the website's search function is not intuitive, so the Ctrl + F function helps alot. Happy reading!
  • Oh, and please do refer to using the web / PC version, as the mobile implementation isn't well done. Thank you!

Popular Entries

Sunday 8 October 2023

New to me: Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

 New to me: Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious


Singapore - 8/10/23 - It might be time for me to let the cat out of the bag.


Over the last few weeks, I've been looking into purchasing a first car to bring me through the next several years. Those close to me would know that I've been keenly eyeing a Daihatsu Charade GTti for the better part of two years.



Evidently things weren't going as I'd hope for it to be. But, searching is still searching. Recently something a tad bit special came up for sale.


Well, depending on who you ask, its either a car, something not worth owning/driving or "You should have bought Japanese"

I absolutely agree that I should have bought Japanese, but something drew me to this car. We had actually looked at a Honda Civic EF3, however due to certain obligations, that vehicle could not be a choice. Stranded with a then "stale" market, I was left looking on the classifieds, looking at this particular car again.

"I've never seen a white one before", and really, I never really saw any white ones before. I have seen three beforehand, respectively British Racing Green (BRG), BRG and a green-purple wrap.

Looking up photos of identical examples yielded approximately 4-5 results, with one poster being just as surprised as I was seeing a white unit in the flesh.

Anyhow, after the white EF3, it was decided that looking into this particular example wouldn't be risking much. It did on paper, strike a few pointers I was looking for in a car;

-An elusive unit
-Category A COE
-Old enough to be considered retro
-A manual transmission
Of course, to most sane people, my requirements are more than unnecessary, if not confusing. Even I think about it; just why should I be looking for an elusive car? How do I check its history? What had been done with it?

Many, many questions, but well worth just taking a look..


One thing led to another; those who viewed the car fell in love with it. Sooner and later, its driven into a residential area.

Diehard Lotus fans probably already have figured out what this car is, but to many, its either a model that is just elusive on its own, or they do not even know about its existence. Justified, seeing what Lotus cars effectively towered over it since.


1992 Lotus Elan SE M100.

Frankly, this did not even once occupy my dream car list, nor is it a body style that I had any preference to. The background of the blog may have been enough to signify my love towards the hot hatch. But sometimes, things don't proceed as they expected to have.

This is one of, I checked, at least 7 M100's still registered in LTA's database. This is also incidentally the only white one that has surfaced in recent years. I could roughly list out the cars and their colors:

-SBV British Racing Green
-SBQ Original Red, repainted BRG
-SME BRG
-SBQ BRG
-SBN Red (The only red left)
-SJS Original Yellow (Wrapped in green-purple finish)
-This White (The only one in white)

Put in another way; should you see an Elan in white and bearing a wine red soft-top, you'd probably be able to guess who it is. This color combination might also be plenty unique globally; almost all white examples I've seen on the web have their original, if not replaced black soft-tops.

This unit is far from original. I won't hide this, its easily diggable through SGCarMart's expired listings list.

2012 listing of the very same car.

Even back then was the seller keen on listing the mods;
-ESM Kilmanjaro Chip + Everest Chip
-Bob's Hi Spec Brake kit + Short shifter
-Works 16" Wheels
-Samco Hoses

Taking a look now, a sizeable portion of these modifications are still on the car.


The carbon fiber intake was cool, but no longer present.

Otherwise, for the time being as due to personal reasons I'm unable to take the car out, its definitely a car. 5-Speed box, a factory-quoted time of approximately 6.5 seconds to do 0-100km/h, and 2 less doors from a sedan so that nobody can really ride with you, just the looks alone can already turn some heads just from its sleek body design.


Plus, a hardtop would look extremely appealing.

I digress. I am confident that this car down the line will give its fair share of problems; it is ultimately British, and it already has its share of problems; mainly the rubber sealings are in such a shape that rain will happily occupy the cabin.


On both sides, no less.


Still, with some curators calling it an underrated and well-sorted piece of machinery, and the fact in this little twisted market that these sell typically for less than a MX-5, they just seem to appeal.

Oh yes, one more thing in case you want to pick up a classic of your own, please do know these few things before dedicating to one.

"Some truths I learn these few days about owning classic cars beyond 20 years of age.
  1. Most likely you can get loan value of what's left on your existing COE. Even if it is a COE plate. Means you better prepare 2 pay cash all out.
  1. Insurance. All insurance companies will quote you high to cover only third party. As high as nearly 3K if it is a branded and 2 door coupe.
  1. Insurance for the classic cars only covered the named driver, additional driver, higher premiums you need to pay.
  1. No insurance company will offer insurance to you if you are a newborn driver below 3 years of driving experience according to the agent. Even if anyone is offering you, it will be an astronomic figure that doesn't make sense.
So, hope this helps all my friends looking into owning a classic ride that are branded and is a sports car."

Until the next time that I can sample this car again, cheers all, I'm glad that there exists someone who is willing to read all of this. I think I should give it a name.

Maybe Elanmi will work?

~Efini

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest Entry

Elanmi: Pop-up surprise + Personal shopping list